Extremely obnoxious protesters at WitchsFest NYC: connected to NAR?
Diane Vera printable version print page     Bookmark and Share
Thu Aug 25, 2016 at 09:48:32 AM EST
In July of this year, some extremely loud, obnoxious Christian-identified protesters showed up at WitchsFest, an annual Pagan street fair here in NYC.  Here's an account of the protest by Pagan writer Heather Greene on a Pagan news site called The Wild Hunt.  This was the first year that such protesters showed up at Witchfest.  Apparently they also showed up last year at Pagan Pride, another Pagan festival held annually in late September.

According to Heather Greene:

The group of protesters, who numbered between 10 and 20 at any given time, arrived early and stayed all day. They set up on one corner of Astor Place, near the festival's teaching tents. The group held up signs and yelled at the growing festival crowd. According to RavenHawk, this was the same group of people who protested Pagan Pride in 2015.

Witch and author Christopher Penczak told The Wild Hunt that the protesters appeared to be "some evangelical variety" of Christian, but he could not identify any specific denomination or church affiliation.

"I have never encountered such a belligerent group," said Hannah, a member of the Temple of Witchcraft and a regular attendee at Pagan and other similar conventions. "One [protester] screamed in my face that I need to repent." She said that, in her experience, most convention protesters are typically more passive. "These guys were seriously full of aggression and hate."

When I first read this back in July, it occurred to me to wonder if this protest might be a sign of stepped-up NAR-style "spiritual warfare" activity here in NYC.  Such protests, here in NYC, are a new development.  As far as I am aware, such harassment of public Pagan events has never happened here before.

I decided to post about it here after this article by Frederick Clarkson (see also my comment here) made me realize that there apparently is, indeed, stepped up NAR activity here in NYC these days.

However, that fact still doesn't prove that this specific protest was NAR-connected.  Would anyone here happen to know what specific organization was behind these protests?  (Photos here and here.)

The lack of denominational affiliation is certainly suggestive but I'd need more to go on.

However, as another general forensic tool, look for any activity in and around NYC concerning "prayer walking" or "spiritual mapping". This has been going on all over the city, for several years at least.

Now, not all of the people doing this are fully within the NAR - and many may not even know about the existence of the movement.

Nonetheless "spiritual mapping" as a practice emerged from the heart of the nascent NAR (see this 2005 PhD dissertation on the emergence of Spiritual Mapping by Rene Holvast : http://dspace.library.uu.nl/bitstream/handle/1874/29340/holvast.p df?sequence=2 )

by Bruce Wilson on Thu Aug 25, 2016 at 10:40:51 AM EST

but I do know that down here, they've made life hell at times for UU kids (and non-Christians in general).  I was at a public function ("First Friday") where they attacked us at our table multiple times (including trying to "prove" to me that I was going to hell and aggressively approaching and grilling me within the space set up for the UU church).  We also had problems with them coming up to people who were at our table and starting hard-sell proselytizing of them as soon as they could.

Also, Native Americans have had problems with them.  I've heard of attempts (some pretty much successful, others not) to take over tribes and tribal governments (one group I'm thinking of has shifted from proven bloodlines as a part of being a member of the tribe - you're born into a tribe and you don't "join", to membership in the church).  They've invaded and disrupted ceremony, and physically threatened and attacked real American Indians.  I've experienced the attacks twice - once where I was threatened with violence from "Good Christians" (of the Dominionist stripe), and a second time where I was verbally attacked (in my face) by a Good Christian because I valued learning about our traditions and not "Jesus".

I just wish Dogemperor was around.  She knew more about situations out west than I do (mentioned several situations by name) - and I've been rather inactive in tribal life for the last several years (due to Christian and poverty problems).

Finally, I'd also point out that the local Dominionist "University" has a long history/reputation of developing new ways to proselytize and force their way into places where they're not wanted.  I'd been trying to get people who'd gone there - and spoke of some of the things they were taught, such as "How to disrupt another group that you don't like" - even to how to approach a table like we had set up at "First Friday", to write up reports on their training.  One person mentioned being taught even how to approach a table and block access to it - pointed out several young people and told us exactly what they would do - and they did.  It was exactly as that person had been trained when he/she was going there (I need to keep identities - even to sex, confidential to protect the people - as I wrote in the diary about evidence of violence, it's dangerous to resist those monsters.)

by ArchaeoBob on Thu Aug 25, 2016 at 07:13:06 PM EST

Their goal is to win. Sadly they look closer now than ever before to win. Or at the very least make headway in their plan to make the USA what it never was, a Christian Theocracy of some kind.

by Nightgaunt on Tue Jan 03, 2017 at 09:30:11 PM EST

Window 10 is recently updated version which is totally best and smooth version till yet it provides to much helps to people like how to manage the space bar and so on documentswindows10 it also guide them with tips at point to point.

by prakashchandra on Fri Mar 23, 2018 at 06:21:05 AM EST

We are needed this article to find obnoxious protesters and college-paper-writing-service.reviews website news followers. Then everyone will connect to these fest articles and actions.

by Lomax on Sat May 05, 2018 at 12:31:01 AM EST

Timely Junk Removers

by Services on Wed Mar 04, 2020 at 09:21:26 PM EST

It will be also an extensive space i remarkably savored shopping. Is not actually day after day that offer the chance to look at goods.    บาคาร่า

by enable on Sat Dec 29, 2018 at 02:00:21 AM EST

Well, this group does sound very dangerous to me. Protestors appearing at events like these are very common, but I never have heard of any groups conducting such aggressive protests at the event. And the origin of these groups is unknown, which also makes it scarier.

by alexpaul on Fri Jan 04, 2019 at 01:32:12 AM EST

Apart from cleaning carpets, Carpet Cleaners North Shore also excels at steam sofa cleaning, mattress cleaning, rug cleaning, stain removal, tile cleaning as well as grout cleaning for commercial and domestic clients. best carpet cleaner 2019

by hazoguhut on Fri Jan 11, 2019 at 01:54:19 PM EST

I would like to introduce you to a question-and-answer forum for programmers, with all the areas you can research such as windows, android, java, python, c... the website:

by lindarose11 on Thu Jan 17, 2019 at 01:45:28 AM EST

The company was founded by Polish immigrant Maxwell Kohl, who opened a corner grocery store in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1927. Branching out from its successful grocery store chain, the myhr.kohls.com  company opened its first department store in 1962.

by hazoguhut on Mon Feb 11, 2019 at 08:05:07 AM EST

This is a great article!

metal roofing
metal roofing

by francis192 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 at 02:45:05 PM EST

Probably! A very brave statement made on this article!
- insurance claim services

by JohnDave on Tue Dec 10, 2019 at 10:18:24 PM EST

McDonald's name is enough to remind you of the tasty food items that they offer. There is no need to tell you that it is one of the biggest restaurant chains in the world. mcdvoice | mybkexperience | dgcustomerfirst

by tivukiz on Sat Apr 13, 2019 at 07:22:18 AM EST

I feel really happy to have seen your webpage and look forward to so many more entertaining times reading here. Thanks once more for all the details. power washing

by joshuaprice153 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 at 07:01:09 AM EST

Thank you for sharing article and information. this is very helpful for beginner. Psiphon

by Donnell359 on Tue Jun 18, 2019 at 12:26:17 AM EST

diebestetest Nice tutorial! It is a very informative tutorial. It was extremely helpful.

by William628 on Fri Jun 21, 2019 at 02:33:43 AM EST

It is just excellent to know this information. click here

by casseverhart13 on Mon Jul 01, 2019 at 05:47:33 AM EST

AN excellent information..Thank you very much
myschoolbucks

by joseph09 on Fri Jul 05, 2019 at 06:46:23 AM EST

I read a article under the same title some time ago, but this articles quality is much, much better. Nice
fireboy and watergirl

by annashetty on Tue Jul 16, 2019 at 05:07:16 AM EST

They were pretty obnoxious I can hardly tell.
Jon | columbia heating and cooling

by Jon889 on Thu Aug 22, 2019 at 08:42:39 AM EST

Just always remember that violence answered with violence is not a good idea. Designer Bags Shop

by horeakaii on Mon Sep 23, 2019 at 01:19:25 AM EST

I really think they are connected to NAR! They must be paid folks.
Jon | garage floor coating

by Jon889 on Wed Sep 25, 2019 at 05:59:04 AM EST

Thanks for this information! Arlington Plumber - plumbing company

by WarrenGay on Mon Sep 30, 2019 at 09:37:21 AM EST

Either connected or not, this group should not be tolerated. Respect should be observed. plumbers of https://plumberwoodbridgeva.com/

by JohnDave on Mon Sep 30, 2019 at 10:12:34 AM EST

Do we have an update regarding this article? Thanks in advance! https://columbiatowingservice.com | https://www.abobsauto.com

by Rheygo on Mon Oct 21, 2019 at 10:59:58 AM EST

For this country to be peaceful, I think we have to respect each other's beliefs. top merchant services

by gregwhite174854 on Thu Oct 24, 2019 at 06:04:49 AM EST

Any violent protest should have a punishment to prevent more violent protest in the future. Towing Ashburn Towing Chantilly Towing Haymarket VA

by Mike888 on Wed Nov 06, 2019 at 11:36:11 AM EST
I really agree with this! It should have an equivalent punishment to stop/prevent any future attempt. stump grinding/removal | tree care services

by WarrenGay on Tue Nov 19, 2019 at 02:50:49 PM EST

this provided me beautiful insights
www.dogwalkersvancouver.co/

by Lance on Thu Dec 05, 2019 at 11:37:39 AM EST

snow plowing Rochester

tree service Downers Grove MO

by JamesJ on Tue Dec 10, 2019 at 07:32:17 PM EST

I always learn something new on this site... professional wedding photographers

by bizz888 on Mon Jan 06, 2020 at 06:59:49 PM EST

good to finally hear it told straight for once... local carpet cleaners

by bizz888 on Mon Jan 06, 2020 at 07:06:25 PM EST

Just when I thought this other side of the world (West) was in the era of technology and advancement. Yet the festival is all about witches? Am I missing something here? Been in the  bathroom renovation melbourne
 or something.

by behal on Tue Jan 14, 2020 at 05:50:20 PM EST

I would like to know who organized these protests as well. Please let us know if you figure it out. Thanks - container rental Buffalo NY | tree trimming Schaumburg IL

by JamesJ on Mon Jan 27, 2020 at 11:08:30 AM EST

Interesting topic for a blog. I have been searching the Internet for fun and came upon your website. Fabulous post. Thanks a ton for sharing your knowledge! It is great to see that some people still put in an effort into managing their websites. I'll be sure to check back again real soon.

carpet cleaning

by meryllinker on Sat Feb 15, 2020 at 07:30:00 AM EST

Members of the New York City Police Department was on hand and watching the protest. RavenHawk noted that four officers remained near the protesters at all times to protect the attendees. Dana Marie said that "[The officers] were respectful and kept us protected while keeping an eye on the protesters and telling them to stop getting so loud. Source: therufflifemobile.com

by stormSkye on Tue Feb 25, 2020 at 10:39:26 PM EST

Just in case somebody don't want to miss this event.
Friday July 10th 6 - 10pm We will be welcoming all of our Presenters, Performers, Attendees, Vendors at a party to begin our Full Weekend of festivities....  with music, fun and light eats....brisbane line marking
Come out and mingle, listen to music and have fun...
light snacks included - Drinks & full food menu for sale at bar.

by behal on Tue Mar 03, 2020 at 06:04:21 AM EST

There are definitely some extreme protestors out there today. Their opinions would probably be better received if they were more measured in voicing them. masonry charlotte

by leadinglines on Fri Mar 06, 2020 at 02:37:09 PM EST

The biggest take-away from this experience was that we need to keep advocating for positive, safe change, for acceptance of diversity in our country. The time of angry intolerance and fear-driven actions needs to shift towards a time of inclusion, acceptance and peaceful interactions. bathroom remodel

by Kadams1234 on Fri Mar 27, 2020 at 01:40:54 PM EST

I simply stumbled upon your blog and desired to say that I possess really enjoyed browsing your current posts. keep doing your great job and always gain my support. Subway Surfers online game

by luciham20 on Mon Apr 06, 2020 at 02:41:59 AM EST

Sounds like this group is pretty extreme. They might be more effective if they added some positivity to their message. Concrete Contractors Greensboro NC

by leadinglines on Mon Apr 06, 2020 at 03:18:01 PM EST

Thanks  for sharing! commercial roofing

by Kadams1234 on Mon Apr 27, 2020 at 01:53:39 AM EST

by Beaudoin258 on Sat May 02, 2020 at 05:15:59 AM EST
LiteBlue I have found this.

by Beaudoin258 on Sat May 02, 2020 at 05:17:02 AM EST

Interesting stuff to read. Keep it up. my biz account fedex

by KennethBass on Mon Jun 01, 2020 at 08:14:27 AM EST

I've been suspicious of the intent of these protesters since day one. You earned my respect with this article because of one major reason: I learned something. I learned enough to take the time to make this comment and say 'thank you' so thank! I'm just a regular guy doing appliance repair Kent WA and these protesters call themselves 'regular people' but I beg to differ. If they came and destroyed my shop... no need to say more.

by JewlzinJuly on Mon Jun 08, 2020 at 09:00:01 PM EST

Typically I don't peruse article on websites, yet I wish to state this review very compelled me to investigate and do as such! Your composing taste has been astonished me. Much obliged to you, very extraordinary post. Hence check out this one of the best tulsa chiropractic services visit their website now!

by rianneknox on Wed Jun 24, 2020 at 06:21:01 AM EST

Thank you so much for helping with this wonderful articlewww.tellthebell.com

by ElectricGoat on Mon Aug 10, 2020 at 04:37:40 AM EST

I think this protesting thing is not new to us. However, I'm confused what NAR's have to do with this protest. Anyway, thank you for sharing this information and your thoughts about it. Also, if you're looking for carpet cleaners in St. Petersburg, FL, I'd recommend you see these carpet cleaning pros for efficient, quality service.

by And3y on Fri Sep 04, 2020 at 10:25:31 PM EST

My rather long internet look up has at the end of the day been compensated with pleasant insight to talk about with my family and friends website designing services

by Hamelton on Fri Sep 18, 2020 at 02:47:03 AM EST

There is always a two side of the story and we're so glad that you both covered or share your insight about them. Do you need a help of professional deck builders? fort collins deck builders is here to help you

by ogilview82 on Sun Sep 20, 2020 at 10:42:00 PM EST

NAR's members are residential and commercial real estate brokers, real estate salespeople, immovable property managers, appraisers, counselors, and others engaged in all aspects of the real estate (immovable property) industry, where a state license to practice is required. Members belong to one or more of some 1,600 local realtor boards or associations. They are pledged to a code of ethics and standards of practice, which were adopted in 1913, and according to bail bonds nyc.

by stormSkye on Sun Oct 04, 2020 at 01:56:40 AM EST

At the 2016 REALTORS® Legislative Meetings & Trade Expo, close to 9,000 REALTORS®, residential and commercial alike, descended upon our Nation's Capital to ensure that the REALTOR® voice was heard loud and clear. Meeting with elected ocials on Capitol Hill and in executive agencies, we were focused on a range of issues impacting property ownership and investment--1031 Like-Kind Exchanges were top-of-mind. Got this source from yelp piano movers.

by stormSkye on Sun Oct 04, 2020 at 06:18:49 AM EST

I believe there are many more pleasurable opportunities ahead for individuals ufabet that looked at your site.

by Hamelton on Mon Oct 12, 2020 at 06:49:30 AM EST

This is very educational content and written well for a change. It's nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post.!
Funny Birthday Cards

by hidok52765 on Mon Oct 12, 2020 at 10:35:43 AM EST

I believe there are many more pleasurable opportunities ahead for individuals that ufabet looked at your site.

by Hamelton on Tue Oct 13, 2020 at 03:06:04 AM EST

I can set up my new idea from this post. It gives in depth information. Thanks for this valuable information for all,..
Best Halloween Costumes For 2021

by hidok52765 on Wed Oct 14, 2020 at 08:26:09 AM EST

I felt very happy while reading this site. This was really very informative site for me. I really liked it. This was really a cordial post. Thanks a lot!.
svgs

by hidok52765 on Wed Oct 14, 2020 at 04:18:56 PM EST

Hi there I am so thrilled I found your website, I really found you by mistake, while I was browsing on Yahoo for something else, Anyhow I am here now and would just like to say thanks a lot for a tremendous post and a all round exciting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don't have time to go through it all at the minute but I have saved it and also added battery powered hair dryer in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep up the awesome job.

by Hamelton on Thu Oct 15, 2020 at 08:02:27 AM EST

I wish to show thanks to you just for bailing me out of this particular trouble.As a result green energy of checking through the net and meeting techniques that were not productive, I thought my life was done.

by Hamelton on Fri Oct 16, 2020 at 03:06:13 AM EST

Thank you so much for sharing this great blog.Very inspiring and helpful too.Hope you continue to share more of your ideas.I will definitely love to read.
Ipswich Window Cleaning

by hidok52765 on Tue Oct 20, 2020 at 08:39:19 AM EST

Hi there! Nice stuff, do keep me posted when you post again something like this!
injury lawyer

by hidok52765 on Thu Oct 22, 2020 at 01:27:03 PM EST

Cognitive Dissonance & Dominionism Denial
There is new research on why people are averse to hearing or learning about the views of ideological opponents. Based on evaluation of five......
Will the Air Force Do Anything To Rein In Its Dynamic Duo of Gay-Bashing, Misogynistic Bloggers?
"I always get nervous when I see female pastors/chaplains. Here is why everyone should as well: "First, women are not called to be pastors,......
By Chris Rodda (116 comments)
The Legacy of Big Oil
The media is ablaze with the upcoming publication of David Grann's book, Killers of the Flower Moon. The shocking non fiction account of the......
Gimme That Old Time Dominionism Denial
Over the years, I have written a great deal here and in other venues about the explicitly theocratic movement called dominionism -- which has......
History Advisor to Members of Congress Completely Twists Jefferson's Words to Support Muslim Ban
Pseudo-historian David Barton, best known for his misquoting of our country's founders to promote the notion that America was founded as a Christian nation,......
By Chris Rodda (68 comments)
"Christian Fighter Pilot" Calls First Lesbian Air Force Academy Commandant a Liar
In a new post on his "Christian Fighter Pilot" blog titled "BGen Kristin Goodwin and the USAFA Honor Code," Air Force Lieutenant Colonel Jonathan......
By Chris Rodda (106 comments)
Catholic Right Leader Unapologetic about Call for 'Death to Liberal Professors' -- UPDATED
Today, Donald Trump appointed C-FAM Executive Vice President Lisa Correnti to the US Delegation To UN Commission On Status Of Women. (C-FAM is a......
Controlling Information
     Yesterday I listened to Russ Limbaugh.  Rush advised listeners it would be best that they not listen to CNN,MSNBC, ABC, CBS and......
Is Bannon Fifth-Columning the Pope?
In December 2016 I wrote about how White House chief strategist Steve Bannon, who likes to flash his Catholic credentials when it comes to......
Ross Douthat's Hackery on the Seemingly Incongruous Alliance of Bannon & Burke
Conservative Catholic writer Ross Douthat has dissembled again. This time, in a February 15, 2017 New York Times op-ed titled The Trump Era's Catholic......
`So-Called Patriots' Attack The Rule Of Law
Every so often, right-wing commentator Pat Buchanan lurches out of the far-right fever swamp where he has resided for the past 50 years to......
Bad Faith from Focus on the Family
Here is one from the archives, Feb 12, 2011, that serves as a reminder of how deeply disingenuous people can be. Appeals to seek......
The Legacy of George Wallace
"One need not accept any of those views to agree that they had appealed to real concerns of real people, not to mindless, unreasoning......
Betsy DeVos's Mudsill View of Public Education
My Talk to Action colleague Rachel Tabachnick has been doing yeoman's work in explaining Betsy DeVos's long-term strategy for decimating universal public education. If......
Prince and DeVos Families at Intersection of Radical Free Market Privatizers and Religious Right
This post from 2011 surfaces important information about President-Elect Trump's nominee for Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVos. -- FC Erik Prince, Brother of Betsy......
By Rachel Tabachnick (146 comments)

Respect for Others? or Political Correctness?
The term "political correctness" as used by Conservatives and Republicans has often puzzled me: what exactly do they mean by it? After reading Chip Berlin's piece here-- http://www.talk2action.org/story/2016/7/21/04356/9417 I thought about what he explained......
MTOLincoln (160 comments)
Fear
What I'm feeling now is fear.  I swear that it seems my nightmares are coming true with this new "president".  I'm also frustrated because so many people are not connecting all the dots! I've......
ArchaeoBob (60 comments)
"America - love it or LEAVE!"
I've been hearing that and similar sentiments fairly frequently in the last few days - far FAR more often than ever before.  Hearing about "consequences for burning the flag (actions) from Trump is chilling!......
ArchaeoBob (89 comments)
"Faked!" Meme
Keep your eyes and ears open for a possible move to try to discredit the people openly opposing Trump and the bigots, especially people who have experienced terrorism from the "Right"  (Christian Terrorism is......
ArchaeoBob (96 comments)
More aggressive proselytizing
My wife told me today of an experience she had this last week, where she was proselytized by a McDonald's employee while in the store. ......
ArchaeoBob (105 comments)
See if you recognize names on this list
This comes from the local newspaper, which was conservative before and took a hard right turn after it was sold. Hint: Sarah Palin's name is on it!  (It's also connected to Trump.) ......
ArchaeoBob (103 comments)
Unions: A Labor Day Discussion
This is a revision of an article which I posted on my personal board and also on Dailykos. I had an interesting discussion on a discussion board concerning Unions. I tried to piece it......
Xulon (110 comments)
Extremely obnoxious protesters at WitchsFest NYC: connected to NAR?
Diane Vera (65 comments)
Capitalism and the Attack on the Imago Dei
I joined this site today, having been linked here by Crooksandliars' Blog Roundup. I thought I'd put up something I put up previously on my Wordpress blog and also at the DailyKos. As will......
Xulon (81 comments)
History of attitudes towards poverty and the churches.
Jesus is said to have stated that "The Poor will always be with you" and some Christians have used that to refuse to try to help the poor, because "they will always be with......
ArchaeoBob (86 comments)
Alternate economy medical treatment
Dogemperor wrote several times about the alternate economy structure that dominionists have built.  Well, it's actually made the news.  Pretty good article, although it doesn't get into how bad people could be (have been)......
ArchaeoBob (59 comments)
Evidence violence is more common than believed
Think I've been making things up about experiencing Christian Terrorism or exaggerating, or that it was an isolated incident?  I suggest you read this article (linked below in body), which is about our great......
ArchaeoBob (96 comments)
Central Florida Sheriff Preached Sermon in Uniform
If anyone has been following the craziness in Polk County Florida, they know that some really strange and troubling things have happened here.  We've had multiple separation of church and state lawsuits going at......
ArchaeoBob (60 comments)
Demon Mammon?
An anthropologist from outer space might be forgiven for concluding that the god of this world is Mammon. (Or, rather, The Market, as depicted by John McMurtry in his book The Cancer Stage of......
daerie (79 comments)
Anti-Sharia Fever in Texas: This is How It Starts
The mayor of a mid-size Texan city has emerged in recent months as the newest face of Islamophobia. Aligning herself with extremists hostile to Islam, Mayor Beth Van Duyne of Irving, Texas has helped......
JSanford (66 comments)

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective companies. Comments, posts, stories, and all other content are owned by the authors. Everything else © 2005 Talk to Action, LLC.